Oh boy. I made this cake and it took three days to eat the whole thing. It is now my go-to-cake and definitely my go-to chocolate icing. Who would have thought sour cream and chocolate chips could taste so phenomenally good?
More cakes to come so look out for an Indulgent Chocolate Cake which I just haven't had time to make yet.
Blueberry Chocolate Cake
Serves: Makes 1 cake
1 cup brown sugar 250g butter 1/2 cup cocoa 375g jar Blueberry Jam 3/4 cup hot water 3 eggs 2 1/2 cups self raising flour 1 tsp vanilla essence 125 g chocolate chips 1/4 cup sour cream
- Stir the cocoa and hot water together until smooth. Cool thoroughly.
- Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla essence together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in half a cup of Blueberry Jam ( actually I used blackcurrant beccause I couldn't find any blackberry).
- Sift in the self raising flour and pour in the cooled chocolate mixture. Fold together carefully.
- Spread into a well-greased and floured 22cm-23cm ring cake tin.
- Bake at 180o C for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean and the cake has shrunk from the sides of the cake tin. Cool in the cake tin for 5 minutes before turning out on to a cake rack to cool.
- When cool, split the cake in half or three layers horizontally and spread the cut layers with the remaining Blueberry Jam. Join together. Dust with icing sugar or spread with the thick chocolate glaze.
- Chocolate Glaze - Heat chocolate chips and sour cream in a microwave-proof jug for 1 minute in a microwave on high power. Stir until the chocolate has all melted and the mixture is smooth. Smooth on to the cake while still warm.
Thanks to Jaymee Thomson of ST Construction!
-- Kelly @ccmkelly